OFFICE OF THE MUNICIPAL MANAGER
POSITION : DIRECTOR PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT (REF: 2019-20 / 002)
FIXED TERM CONTRACT
- Sc Degree in Building Science / Architecture / B.Degree in Town and Regional Planning / Development Studies or equivalent
- Five (5) years’ Professional Development / Town & Regional Planning experience, of which at least three (3) years must be at senior management level
- Registration with the relevant professional body will be an added advantage
- Knowledge and understanding of the local government environment
- Strategic leadership, financial and project management skills
- Valid Code EB driver’s license
- Computer Literate in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project and MS Power Point
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to strategically plan, negotiate and communicate at all spheres of government and with all stakeholders
- A Certificate Programme in Municipal Development (CPMD) / Municipal Finance Management Programme (MFMP) / Executive Leadership Municipal Development Programme (ELMDP) will be an added advantage. Should the successful applicant not possess such minimum competencies or be in the process of acquiring such competencies, such must be acquired or finalized / obtained within 18 months from the date of appointment.
- A relevant Postgraduate qualification would be an added advantage.
LEADING AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The successful applicant must possess the following Leading and Core Competencies as per Notice 21 of Government Gazette No. 37245 dated 17 January 2014:
- Strategic Direction and Leadership
- People Management
- Program and Project Management
- Financial Management
- Change Leadership
- Governance Leadership
Core Competencies: moral competence, planning and organizing, analysis and innovation, knowledge and information management, communication skills (written and verbal), results and quality focus driven, honesty and integrity.
Applicants must be computer literate and be in possession of a valid driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
- of relevant policies and legislation
- of institutional governance systems and performance management
- of the following departmental services: integrated development planning, local economic development, performance management, property services, town and regional planning, land use management, spatial development, geographical information systems, human settlements
- of supply chain management regulations and framework
- of geographical information systems
- of spatial, town and development planning
- of coordination and oversight of all specialised support functions
- of Council operations and delegation of powers
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
As the Director Planning & Development, the incumbent will take responsibility for overall performance in the following areas:
- Plan, develop and implement a coherent and integrated framework for Local Economic Development and Tourism
- Ensure an enabling environment for key economic sectors (LED focus areas: Agricultural development, Investment in SMME development) of the local economy and facilitate participation of role players
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the Integrated Development Plan
- Manage and coordinate the institutional Performance Management System and its legislative compliance as well as the Service Delivery Budget Implementation Plan (SDBIP)
- Monitor and evaluate service delivery and ensure public participation
- Provide human settlement administration and support services to support the housing needs within Govan Mbeki Local Municipality
- Manage the provision of effective land use management services
- Render integrated spatial and town planning services in accordance with policies, the Spatial Development Framework (SDF), including urban and rural development planning)
- Manage and regulate building control activities and services including surveying and valuation services
- Provide and maintain the geographical information system (GIS) for planning services
- Identify, protect and manage the heritage (built form) in the municipal area
- Budget and expenditure control of the department
- Promote organizational development and inter-governmental relations
- Ensure legal compliance in terms of Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Ensure compliance of all legal aspects and conditions required from the different spheres of Government
- Financial management – preparation and management of the budget of the Directorate
- Manage the human resources of the Directorate
- Provide institutional support to the offices of the Executive Mayor and Municipal Manager
- Co-ordinate and implement ordinances, policies and by-laws relevant to the department
- Policy development and compilation of operational guidelines and procedures
R1 156 263.00 (minimum) / R1 376 505.00 (midpoint) / R1 596 747.00 (maximum)
The offer of remuneration will be determined by competencies, qualifications and experience as per the Local Government Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers, read together with the guidelines as set out in Notice 1092 published in Government Gazette No. 41173 dated 10 October 2017, Upper Limits of Total Remuneration Packages payable to Municipal Managers and Managers directly accountable to Municipal Managers.
This position is for a fixed term contract, which period will not exceed a period ending one year after the elections of the next Council of the Govan Mbeki Municipality.
The successful applicant will be required to sign an Employment Contract & Performance Agreement as well as undergo the required Competency Assessments as per the Local Government Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers
Qualification and employment verification as well as criminal record and credit record enquiries will be performed as part of the screening process for all shortlisted candidates. Competency assessments must be undertaken by candidates who are recommended for appointment. Further enquiries may be directed to Ms J Cloete at (017) 620 6024 during office hours.
Govan Mbeki Municipality is committed to the achievement and compliance of diversity and employment equity, especially in terms of race, gender and disability.
Faxed or e-mailed applications and those without above-mentioned accompanying documents will NOT be considered.
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 13 September 2019
Govan Mbeki Municipality reserves the right not to fill the advertised post and/or re-advertise the post. If you do not hear from us within three (3) months after the closing date, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
Qualifying applicants are required to submit their applications on the official Govan Mbeki application form for Senior Managers which is available from our website: www.govanmbeki.gov.za. All applications must be accompanied by a detailed CV, originally certified copies of qualifications, ID, driver’s license and cover letter, which indicates the position applied for. Applications must be sent via post to: The Municipal Manager, Govan Mbeki Municipality, Private Bag X1017, Secunda, 2302 or be hand delivered to: the Office of the Municipal Manager, Municipal Offices, Horwood Street, Secunda.