INTERNAL / EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 01 October 2021 at 16:00
OFFICE OF THE MUNICIPAL MANAGER
DIRECTOR PLANNING AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (REF: 2021-22 / 016)
FIXED TERM CONTRACT POSITION
- Sc Degree in Building Science / Architecture / B.Degree in Town and Regional Planning / Development Studies or equivalent
- Five (5) years’ Professional Development and/or Town & Regional Planning experience
- Registration with the relevant professional body will be an added advantage
- Knowledge and understanding of the local government environment
- Strategic leadership, financial and project management skills
- Valid Code EB driver’s license
- Computer Literate in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project and MS Power Point
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to strategically plan, negotiate and communicate at all spheres of government and with all stakeholders
- A Certificate Programme in Municipal Development (CPMD) / Municipal Finance Management Programme (MFMP) / Executive Leadership Municipal Development Programme (ELMDP) will be an added advantage. Should the successful applicant not possess such minimum competencies or be in the process of acquiring such competencies, such must be acquired or finalized / obtained within 18 months from the date of appointment.
- A relevant Postgraduate qualification would be an added advantage.
LEADING AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The successful applicant must possess the following Leading and Core Competencies as per Notice 21 of Government Gazette No. 37245 dated 17 January 2014:
Leading Competencies: Strategic Direction and Leadership / People Management / Program and Project Management / Financial Management / Change Leadership / Governance Leadership
Core Competencies: moral competence, planning, organizing, analysis, innovation, knowledge & information management, communication skills (written and verbal), results & quality focus driven, honesty and integrity.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF:
- Relevant policies and legislation.
- Institutional governance systems and performance management.
- The following departmental services: integrated development planning, local economic development, property services, town and regional planning, land use management, spatial development, geographical information systems, human settlements.
- Supply chain management regulations and framework
- Geographical information systems as well as spatial, town and development planning.
- Coordination and oversight of all specialised support functions.
- Council operations and delegation of powers.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
As the Director Planning & Economic Development, the incumbent will take responsibility for overall performance in the following areas:
Plan, develop and implement a coherent and integrated framework for Local Economic Development and Tourism.
- Ensure an enabling environment for key economic sectors (LED focus areas: Agricultural development, Investment in SMME development) of the local economy and facilitate participation of role players.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the Integrated Development Plan.
- Monitor and evaluate service delivery and ensure public participation.
- Provide human settlement administration and support services to support the housing needs within Govan Mbeki Local Municipality.
- Manage the provision of effective land use management services.
- Render integrated spatial and town planning services in accordance with policies, the Spatial Development Framework (SDF), including urban and rural development planning).
- Manage and regulate building control activities and services including surveying and valuation services.
- Provide and maintain the geographical information system (GIS) for planning services.
- Identify, protect and manage the heritage (built form) in the municipal area.
- Budget and expenditure control of the department.
- Promote organizational development and inter-governmental relations.
- Ensure legal compliance in terms of Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Ensure compliance of all legal aspects and conditions required from the different spheres of Government.
- Financial management – preparation and management of the budget of the Directorate.
- Manage the human resources of the Directorate.
- Provide institutional support to the offices of the Executive Mayor and Municipal Manager.
- Co-ordinate and implement ordinances, policies and by-laws relevant to the department.
- Policy development and compilation of operational guidelines and procedures.
R1 188 638.00 (minimum) / R1 415 047.00 (midpoint) / R1 596 747.00 (maximum)
The offer of remuneration will be determined by competencies, qualifications and experience as per the Local Government Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers, read together with the guidelines as set out in Notice 351 published in Government Gazette No. 43122 dated 20 March 2020, Upper Limits of Total Remuneration Packages payable to Municipal Managers and Managers directly accountable to Municipal Managers.
The successful applicant will be required to sign an Employment Contract and Performance Agreement as well as undergo Screening and Competency Assessment processes as per the Local Government Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment for Senior Managers.
FIXED TERM EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, NOT EXCEEDING A PERIOD ONE YEAR AFTER THE ELECTION OF THE NEXT COUNCIL OF THE MUNICIPALITY
Qualifying applicants are required to submit their applications on the official Govan Mbeki application form for Senior Managers which is available from our website: www.govanmbeki.gov.za. All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter which indicates the position applied for, a detailed CV, originally certified copies of qualifications, ID and driver’s license. Applications must be sent via post to: The Municipal Manager, Govan Mbeki Municipality, Private Bag X1017, Secunda, 2302 or be hand delivered to: the Manager Human Resources, Office no. 204 (Human Resources Section), 2nd Floor, Municipal Offices, Horwood Street, Secunda.
Qualification and employment verification as well as criminal record and credit record enquiries will be performed as part of the screening process for all shortlisted candidates. Competency assessments must be undertaken by candidates who are recommended for appointment. Further enquiries may be directed to the Manager Human Resources, Ms J Cloete at (017) 620 6024 during office hours.
Govan Mbeki Municipality reserves the right not to fill the advertised post and/or re-advertise the post. If you do not hear from us within 3 months after the closing date, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.