OFFICE OF THE MUNICIPAL MANAGER
POSITION : DIRECTOR ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (REF: 2021-22 / 017)
FIXED TERM EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, NOT EXCEEDING A PERIOD ONE YEAR AFTER THE ELECTION OF THE NEXT COUNCIL OF THE MUNICIPALITY
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 01 October 2021 at 16:00
The successful applicant will be required to sign an Employment Contract and Performance Agreement as well as undergo Screening and Competency Assessment processes as per the Local Government Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment for Senior Managers.
- Sc. Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Five (5) years’ engineering experience of which two (2) years’ experience can be at middle management level as Programme / Project Manager and three to four (3-4) years must be at a professional / management level.
- Experience within local government will be preferable.
- Certificate of Competency in terms of the General Machinery Regulations will be an added advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of the public office environment.
- Professional registration with ECSA will be an added advantage.
- Valid Code EB driver’s license.
- Advanced Computer Literacy in in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project and MS Power Point.
- Proficiency in Engineering Codes and Standards pertaining to Municipal Infrastructure Projects.
- Good knowledge and understanding of relevant policy, legislation, institutional governance systems and performance management.
- Competency to administratively guide and manage the Department Electrical & Mechanical Engineering with the ability to complete projects on time, within budget and according to standards.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to formulate Engineering Master Plans with project management experience.
- Ability to strategically plan, negotiate and communicate at all spheres of government and with all stakeholders.
- A Certificate Programme in Municipal Development (CPMD) / Municipal Finance Management Programme (MFMP) / Executive Leadership Municipal Development Programme (ELMDP) will be an added advantage. Should the successful applicant not possess such minimum competencies or be in the process of acquiring such competencies, such must be acquired, finalized or obtained within 18 months from the date of appointment.
- A relevant Postgraduate qualification would be an added advantage.
LEADING AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The successful applicant must possess the following Leading and Core Competencies as per Notice 21 of Government Gazette No. 37245 dated 17 January 2014:
Leading Competencies: Strategic Direction and Leadership / People Management / Program and Project Management / Financial Management / Change Leadership / Governance Leadership
Core Competencies: moral competence, planning and organizing, analysis and innovation, knowledge and information management, communication skills (written and verbal), results and quality focus driven, honesty and integrity.
ADVANCED KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF:
- Relevant policies and legislation
- Institutional governance systems and performance management
- Council operations and delegation of powers
- Good governance
- Audit and Risk management, establishment and functionality
- Budget and Finance management
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
As the Director Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, the incumbent will take responsibility for overall performance in the following areas:
- Manage, develop, administer and co-ordinate functions within the following sub-sections: Energy, Roads & Stormwater, Fleet Management and Mechanical Workshop.
- Promote organizational development and inter-governmental relations.
- Ensure legal compliance in terms of Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Project-manage the Labour Intensive Projects in line with the Extended Public Works Programme (EPWP) framework and related reporting requirements.
- Ensure compliance of all legal aspects and conditions required from the different spheres of Government.
- Manage other related Municipal Infrastructure Grant (MIG) programmes.
- Financial management – prepare and manage the Budget of the Directorate – manage the cash-flow and expenditure on committed projects.
- Provide technical support and evaluation of proposed Municipal Capital Projects in alignment with the Municipal IDP, District, Provincial and National Growth and Development Strategies.
- Provide strategic leadership and superior expertise in the development of Management Information systems for effective decision-making.
- Manage the human resources of the Directorate.
- Prepare and implement Infrastructure Maintenance Plans and programmes.
- Provide institutional support to the offices of the Executive Mayor and Municipal Manager.
- Co-ordinate and implement ordinances, policies and by-laws relevant to the Department
- Policy development and compilation of technical guidelines and procedures.
R1 188 638.00 (minimum) / R1 415 047.00 (midpoint) / R1 596 747.00 (maximum)
Qualification and employment verification as well as criminal record and credit record enquiries will be performed as part of the screening process for all shortlisted candidates. Competency assessments must be undertaken by candidates who are recommended for appointment. Further enquiries may be directed to the Manager Human Resources, Ms J Cloete at (017) 620 6024 during office hours.
Govan Mbeki Municipality is committed to the achievement and compliance of diversity and employment equity, especially in terms of race, gender and disability.
APPLICATIONS THAT ARE NOT ON THE PRESCRIBED OFFICIAL APPLICATION FORM, FAXED AND E-MAILED APPLICATIONS, LATE APPLICATIONS AND THOSE WITHOUT ABOVEMENTIONED ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Interested applicants meeting the requirements should forward a detailed CV with cover page and reference number (including certified copies of qualifications and identity document not older than 3 months old) to: The Municipal Manager, Govan Mbeki Municipality, c/o Manager Human Resources, Private Bag X1017, Secunda, 2302. Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be considered.
- All short listed applicants will be required to produce their original qualifications/documents at the interviews (failure to comply will result in disqualification).
- Correspondence will only be entered into with short listed candidates. Applicants who have not been contacted within thirty (30) days of the closing date should consider their applications unsuccessful.
- The Govan Mbeki Municipality reserves the right not to make an appointment and to re-advertise positions.
- The submission of an application gives Govan Mbeki Municipality the right to perform reference checks from current and previous employers as well as academic institutions.
- People with disabilities are encouraged to apply and an indication in this regard will be appreciated.
Govan Mbeki Municipality reserves the right not to fill the advertised post and/or to re-advertise the post. If you do not hear from us within three (3) months after the closing date, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.